Friday, May 8, 2009

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff

Title: If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Author: Laura Joffe Numeroff
Illustrator: Felicia Bond
Reading Level: Ages 4 - 8
Hardcover: 32 Pages
Publisher: Harper Festival

Yay!! I finally got around to posting one of my daughter's favorite books of all time!! 'If You Give a Mouse a Cookie' book that is. My little one totally devours this mouse and cookie book and we have been reading this for a really long time now. In fact, I bought her several books in this 'If You Give a..' series and she loves them all. But, let me tell you about the one book that started it all. 

A young boy sitting on his front lawn happily snacking on some chocolate chip cookies from a brown bag happens to meet a little mouse walking by. Our young hero is kind-hearted and he is glad to share a cookie with the mouse. But, Mr. Mouse asks for a glass of milk to go with it. And, How about a straw little boy? What started out as a simple request turns into incessant demands and our poor little guy could barely keep up with the demanding mouse. After some messing up, washing and cleaning and some nap time stories, the mouse finally winds down with a glass of milk and cookies again!! The story comes a full circle and its a great book that could help teach them about cause and effect. 

The illustrations are captivating and the story line is excellent. It is more interesting when you read it the first time, as I found myself as curious as my daughter to know what the little mouse would demand next. After many endless re-readings, we still love it. This is one book DD knows by heart, she could finish the sentences for me. She has learnt many new words from this book like scotch tape, mustache, scissors, refrigerator, pillow and so on. She finds the story hilarious and the pictures amusing. Especially, we spend a good amount of time meeting the mouse family in the picture he drew with the crayons. We have moved on to several other books in this series, but we always revisit this book all the time. A great modern classic you wouldn't want to miss!!

My Rating: 5/5

3 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I stumbled upon this site today. What a fantastic concept! I am a teacher and I spend a lot of my time reading to kids.
    I notice that you haven't updated since May. I hope you will soon.
    I will be coming back to read the older posts. Looking forward to an update!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Uma, for your lovely comment! I've been traveling a lot this year and haven't updated my blog much. I'll write more soon. Hang on there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your narration reminded me of the movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and how demands made turn into hilarious capers that are warm, and touching.

    ReplyDelete