Thursday, March 26, 2009

Emily's Balloon by Komako Sakai

Title: Emily's Balloon
Author/Illustrator: Komako Sakai
Reading Level: Baby - Preschool
Hardcover: 44 Pages
Publisher: Chronicle Books

Toddlers are obsessed with Balloons. Aren't they? I have often wondered why, but never figured it out! My painstaking search for some interesting books about balloons to read with my daughter led me to this beautiful picture book. Emily's mother buys her a helium-filled yellow balloon while they were out on a walk. The balloon seller ties it to her finger, but as soon as she gets home, it flies to the ceiling. Her mother ties it to a spoon, so that it keeps floating. Now, Emily can really play with her balloon. The yellow balloon follows her wherever she goes and keeps her company. She plays house with it, makes leafy crowns while out in the garden. But, a gust of wind takes her balloon away and the balloon gets stuck on a tree. Emily is heartbroken, as she had imagined sharing her dinner and bed later with her favorite yellow balloon. Her mother comforts her and finally Emily goes to bed, staring at the balloon nestled in the tree, just like a moon. 


The simple illustrations made with charcoal and minimal shades of color, beautifully brings out the emotions of a toddler in love with her new friend. When I read this to my daughter the first time, she was a little over one year old. I remember how she fell head over heels in love with this book. She would insist on taking it everywhere, and she would eat and sleep with it. Now at 2, She is not as obsessive as before, but she still likes to read it from time to time. I guess it is yet another story she could relate to very well. She almost mirrored Emily's expressions in every way. Her eyes would sparkle in excitement when she found Emily playing with her yellow balloon and she used to feel very upset when the wind blew away the balloon. Just like Emily, She will keep pointing at the tree and the stuck balloon for a long time after. The story is so evocative that it might make your little one upset towards the end. I remember how I used to feel sad for Emily and my daughter who will not stop asking for that balloon. In order to make our reading time extra special, I decided to blow a yellow balloon and tied it to her finger as we read it. She would sit on my lap, intently gazing at the pictures, while the yellow balloon floated above us, still tied to her finger. When we get to the part where Emily lost her yellow friend, my daughter would offer hers, just like I thought she would! I thought my toddler could be a little less upset and the story could take a happier ending that way. It worked!! Nowadays, She is more than happy to share her yellow balloon with Emily :) Toddlers would love this book. Check it out!!

My Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment