Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Usborne Touchy-Feely Board Books

Touch-and-Feel books are extremely popular among babies, because in addition to the bold and bright pictures, they also offer a variety of textures for them to explore. Not only does it provide a fun and interactive experience, they help them grasp the concept so much faster and easier. I am a big fan of touch-and-feel books and I still like to read them myself. Honestly, its so much fun. Usborne series have numerous touchy-feely books and several of them are in fact award-winners. 



One of my daughter's favorite books in this series is 'That's not my Penguin' book. As you all know by now, my daughter LOVES penguins. So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that she adores this book. Penguins with fuzzy tummy, silky head, rubbery feet and shiny beak invite her to come and explore different textures in this book. There aren't very many textures (only about five or six), but with babies less is more and they are good enough to keep them engaged for a while. I've been reading it to her for a long time now and many times I have wondered if she will ever get bored of this book. It doesn't seem like it though. Today, I wanted to try something different. I read only the first part of it like 'That's not my penguin, its tummy is too...' and she really surprised me by saying out loud 'fuzzzzzyyy...'. In fact, she could recall the names of all the different textures herself. Its truly amazing :) From penguins to monkeys, cars to trucks, princess to fairies, pirates to dinosaurs, the Usborne series has a book for every little reader out there. You only have to look what might interest your little one. One caveat though - You may not want to get every single book out there in this series, because you will find a lot of them repetitive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment