Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems

Title: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
Author: Mo Willems
Reading Level: Baby - Preschool
Hardcover: 40 pages
Publisher: Hyperion Press
A Caldecott Honor Book.


Speaking of Caldecott Honor Books reminded me of this book we first heard about in a story time session at the local library. Of all the books the librarian read that day, this one had a huge impact with the kids. You know why? Because, its one book you can say "NO" to :) Even though I loved this book and could hardly wait to introduce it to my toddler, I was just biding my time.

DD is about 21 months old now and is going through an exciting developmental stage fondly referred to as "Terrible Twos". The hallmark of this stage is oppositional behavior, a necessary emotional development every toddler must go through. During this period of "First Adolescence" (as Dr.Greene refers it), a toddler likes to assert her independence and control by making choices of their own, even if that choice comes at the price of opposing you. Nowadays, my daughter has an irresistible urge to do EXACTLY the opposite of what I say. And, her most favorite word these days is a simple "NO". She likes to assert her independence in whatever way possible. Mostly, she whimpers and whines to get her way. Once in a while, we are struck by tornadoes too. Since every other word out of her mouth is a resounding "NO", I knew the time has finally come to read this book to her. You will soon find out why ...

OK, Now about the book.. A bus driver introduces himself saying he needs to leave for a while and asks the readers to watch things for him until he gets back. He adds "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus". Well, that's easy. Isn't it? If only you knew what the pigeon is capable of :) The sweet little bird arrives politely asking the readers "Hey, Can I drive the bus?" to which my daughter grins and responds "NO". He tries every little tactics he knew from cajoling ("Please?") to whining ("I never get to do anything"), from being creative("Let's play drive the bus. I'll go first") to wheedling("C'mon! Just once around the block!), even bribing ("How about I give you five bucks?"), tricky ("I bet your mom would let me"). Frustrated with my daughters "NO"s, he attempts one major tantrum at the end which didn't work out either. The bus driver gets back by now and thanks the readers for not letting the pigeon drive the bus and he is off. But, our hero pigeon is relentless. Isn't he? He sees a big red truck and starts fantasizing about driving it...

She is all smiles when I read it to her and loves the fact that she gets to say "NO" to the pigeon. But, other than that I am not sure how well she could relate herself to the pigeon (I guess she is still young for that). But, I get a big kick out of this book too and I laugh out loud every time I read it. The illustrations are remarkable and wordings are hysterically funny. Its just amazing to see how beautifully the author brings out the expressions of the bird with just a few crayons. This book is a keeper, folks. Don't miss it!

My Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment