Sunday, January 25, 2009

How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? by Jane Yolen

Title:How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
Author: Jane Yolen
Illustrator: Mark Teague
Reading Level: Baby - Preschool
Hardcover: 40 pages
Publisher: Scholastic

It all began when Bonnie Verburg, the editor at scholastic, called Jane Yolen saying "My little boy hates going to bed at night and loves dinosaurs. Can you write something for him?". Jane who had gone so far to embroider dinosaur pillows for her kids understood her predicament. Over a period of two years and after so many revisions, the book finally took shape and as they say, the rest is history.. Having won numerous prestigious awards and published in several languages including Korean, Dutch, Chinese, Brazilian, French, Spanish, and Hebrew, it is probably only a runner-up to "GoodNight Moon" as a popular bedtime book.


With all the toys strewn on the floor, a dinosaur is sitting on the bed clutching his favorite teddy bear and a blankie. He doesn't even remotely look like he is ready for bed yet. When mommy comes to turn off the light, how does he say goodnight? Does a dinosaur slam his tail and pout? Does he throw his teddy bear all about? Does he stomp or roar or fall on the top of his covers and cry? Does he sulk, sigh, mope or moan? When I looked at the intriguing cover on the book, I was as curious as my daughter to find out.

I've checked this book out from library so many times before, but my daughter never took interest in it until recently. Like I said before, she is skeptical about trying new books and finds comfort in books she has seen over and over (which is understandable for a toddler) until one day she took it off the shelf herself and wanted me to read it to her. Now, it has become our favorite bedtime book ever! She loves the dinosaurs and the huge eye-catching illustrations speaks volumes. If you choose to buy it, please go for the picture book version (Not the board book) as the huge illustrations make it more appealing. I guess what makes it more interesting is that there is a different dinosaur with either mommy or daddy appearing on each page. Its so cute to watch her cuddling her little bear and saying "noooooo" by wagging one finger at the dinosaur who is throwing his teddy up in the air. We have loads of fun playing "I spy a dinosaur who is..." with the playful dinosaur pictures on the inner flap of the book and We always end up reading it twice!!

Every kid throws tantrums before bedtime from time to time. My little one is pretty consistent with her bedtime routine. But, once in a while she could drive me up the wall. And, I need to remind myself that she is just a kid after all. The transition between reading a story book and lights out has always been the most difficult thing for us. No matter how many books we read, she always cries for "Just One more Book!!". Since its the last thing we do every night, I am not sure if she is really crying for a book or wanting me not to turn off the light, as she knows what's coming up next :) Anyway, last night when she wailed after I turned off the lights, I asked her what a dinosaur would do and if he would cry and moan like her. It was a pleasant shock that she stopped crying instantly and encouraged me to go on with the dinosaur story. Having stopped a tantrum in no time, I proceeded to tell her how dinosaurs are sweet little creatures who don't make a fuss about going to bed at night. Before we knew, she was tucked in bed and soon fell asleep. Not sure if the dinosaur magic will work every time, but its worth a try :)

My Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment