Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hello Munchkins

To market, To market, to buy a new book
Home again, Home again, jiggity joog...

To market, To market, to buy a big drum
Home again, Home again, jiggity jum...

To market, To market, to buy a thin fiddle
Home again, Home again, jiggity jiggle...

OK. That's not how it goes.. But, Who cares? I place my little one on the lap, singing the above song, making up my own verses as I go. She cranes her neck, anticipating the fall between my lap anytime, her sparkling eyes enticing me to go faster and faster.. until we both end up on the floor, roaring with laughter..we could go no more...

Books, Rhymes and Music are an integral part of our lives and my daughter takes to it like a bee to a honey. A lot of repetition and a little bit of creativity is all you need to make it fun. She likes to read her favorite books over and over, her favorite music played over and over. She is a little skeptical about trying new books, unless there is a kitty on the cover :) But, once she likes it, there is no putting back.. I discovered that it took a lot more tries than I imagined to introduce a new book. But, I always take her cues when it comes to reading, never push her even if its a good old classic must read. After all, its the experience you derive from reading that counts, not exactly the reading material.

I've been toying with the idea of launching a blog catering to parents with curious little readers out there. And the more I think about it, the more I feel excited. Board books, picture books, musical books, pop-up books you name it. This blog will serve as a repository of some wonderful children's books and memories I share with my little princess everyday. I can't wait to get started!!

Happy Reading, Everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment