Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Duck & Goose Board Books by Tad Hills

Title: What's Up, Duck?
Author: Tad Hills
Reading Level: Baby - Preschool
Board Book: 22 pages
Publisher: Schwartz & Wade

I'm not sure if there is any board book out there that teaches the concept of opposites better than our beloved duck and goose.

As you can deduce from the cover itself where the duck looks UP and the goose looks DOWN, the book is laden with amusing pictures of duck, goose and thistle bird teaching opposites like fast/slow, near/far, asleep/awake, heavy/light, clean/dirty, happy/sad and so on.

A Duck stands NEAR by whereas a goose stands FAR back. (My little one demonstrates her understanding by pushing the book farther to the end of the bed and pulling it closer in one swift motion. Of course, I showed her the first time).

The goose looks neat and CLEAN while the duck stands smudged with mud all over and DIRTY. (Here, She looks up at me wrinkling her nose and pretends bathing the duck with an imaginary soap in her hand).

Now, the Duck is happily quacking away LOUDly while the Goose is WHISPERing a secret in bird's ears. (She hunches her shoulder even before I bend down to whisper in her ears and bursts into giggles when I do so)

A HAPPY Duck vs a SAD Goose (She is very upset by now and we linger on this page for a while. She pretends to feed the goose in order to make him happy!)

Well, I could go on and on about this book. But, I guess you get the idea. This is one terrific book every child should have. Please, go buy yourself a copy!

My Rating: 5/5



This is yet another board book in the "Duck & Goose" series by Tad Hills that's highly recommended! Two ducks, a goose and a bluebird teach numbers this time. My daughter simply adores this book. Especially the page that is completely black but for the 8 eyes that pop out. She will keep saying "Eyes, Eyes, Eyes" until she finds that page by herself and then goes hysterically laughing at it for a while. Sometimes, its the ONLY page she will look at. I guess she derives her satisfaction of reading it just from this page alone!



No comments:

Post a Comment