Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Falling for Rapunzel by Leah Wilcox

Title: Falling for Rapunzel
Author: Leah Wilcox
Illustrator: Lydia Monks
Reading Level: 3 - 8
Paperback: 32 Pages
Publisher: Penguin Group

In this hilarious picture book, Leah Wilcox puts a clever twist on the children's classic tale of "Rapunzel". A prince rode upon Rapunzel's way as she was sitting up on the tower whining about her hair losing its shine. Hearing her whine, the prince sallied forth to set her free. However, She was quite far away to make out what the prince would say. When the prince pleaded her to throw down her hair, She threw down her underwear. When he asked for her curly locks, She covered him with her dirty socks. The prince wondered out loud if she had a rope. Out came a cantaloupe that bursted right on his head. May be a ladder? Whoa!! She threw out pancake batter. How about a twine? Rapunzel heaved out a blue-ribbon swine. The prince feeling more enamored, yelled for her to throw down her braid. She couldn't quite make out what it was, so she pushed down her pretty maid. Soon after, the prince and maid fell in love with each other and rode back home.

My daughter and I heard about this book during a storytime session at a local bookstore. This book sent both kids and parents rolling on the floor laughing. Since it became a HUGE hit among kids that day, I decided to buy a copy for my daughter hoping she would love it too. Oh, Boy was I right. We have read this book countless number of times already and she NEVER grows tired of it. She doesn't know the classic story yet, but she finds this one pretty funny. She giggles looking at the hapless prince covered from head to toe in dirty socks and underwear. She bursts out laughing when the cantaloupe smashes his head and loves to mimic the horse that laps up all the juice dripping over his head. And, She is all excited about the little red riding hood walking down their way stealthily followed by a big bad wolf (I don't know where that all came from, but I don't care as long as my daughter loves it). She is more than happy when the prince finally finds his soul mate, the pretty maid and we wave them good bye as they go clippety-clop on their horse.

Leah Wilcox & Lydia have done a terrific job with this book. The story is clever, witty and laugh-out-loud funny. The illustrations are made with acrylic paint and collage and they are cheery and delightful. I love the fact that it provides a lot of ways to interact with your kids while you read to them. Take my word, You will be falling for this book in no time! I bought this as an early valentine's day gift for my daughter and I couldn't be more happier with my purchase!! Please do yourself a favor and go buy a copy. I'll wait right here..

My Rating: 5/5 (Can I give more than 5?)

No comments:

Post a Comment