Friday, February 13, 2009

It's time to go Potty!!

Potty Training a toddler could be a pretty daunting task for many parents. If there is one surefire way that teaches the toddlers to master the potty, one secret recipe that would guarantee a success every single time, I am sure every parent struggling with potty training would queue up in line to get hold of that magic formula. And, I bet the queue would even surpass the ones we see at the New York square on the day of a new iPhone Release. When it comes to potty training, parents want to get it over with as soon as possible, so they can go about their business without having to worry about changing diapers every couple of hours. However much we seek it, the diaper-free days remains elusive though. But, Once the child gets to the 'Other' side, parents beam with pride as if they just climbed the top of Mount Everest.

Ever since my daughter's first birthday, I have grown apprehensive about the whole potty training process. No matter how many potty training books I read, I always felt unprepared and jittery. Talking to my friends made me more nervous. One friend said it was no big deal, she did it under a month. But, another one said it took her more than six months, not to mention the fact that while her little one is sitting on the potty, she had to blow bubbles for hours until she turned blue. And, I am yet to meet the super mom who potty trained her child in less than a day. If you are out there somewhere, please let me know. You deserve nothing but an Olympic Gold for your spectacular achievement.

I decided to turn to my mom for some expert advice. After all, She has been there and done all that. Remember, I grew up in India when I was little, so potty training is a little bit different way back then. So, When I asked her, She rambled on and on about how she would let us go diaper free during the days and how she would make an 'instant potty' by sitting on the floor, her knees bent and a little apart to make an opening and how we used to sit on her bent knees without fussing and how she would catch the potty in a newspaper spread on the floor just below it. Honestly, I don't remember any of that. Gosh! that sounds easy though. Even before that thought sunk in, I pinched myself to bring me back within the realm of possibility. With all the carpeted and hardwood floors we see around here in the US, this idea needs to be thrown out the window. Never in my dreams I can imagine letting her go diaper free the entire day or squatting in the restroom with a newspaper on the floor to hold it. You could tell I wasn't looking forward to it much, but I kept on eye on her watching for the so-called readiness signs.

One day my daughter caught me off guard, when she silently stood behind our dining table chewing the table cloth. She was standing still the whole time averting my gaze purposefully. Well, I could smell that something was wrong not to mention it was stinking already. When I realized soon after that she had gone potty, I wondered if this was it. Probably, the sign, the mark on the sky, I have been waiting for all along. When she exhibited other signs like being uncomfortable with a poopy diaper and all, I rolled up my super mom sleeves and decided to get to the bottom of it. Her potty timing was pretty consistent and her before-going-poopy expressions were inevitable. Phew! That must be easy, right? Heck, No. I purchased a toilet ring and a step stool as a first step. This way I don't have to deal with transitioning her from potty to the regular toilet. I made her sit on her toilet seat fully dressed, just to get her used to it. Then, She was sitting on it during off-potty times, but it didn't get us anywhere. She just drove me crazy pulling wads of toilet paper off the roll and stuffing them into the toilet bowl. After a while, I gave up and decided to buy a little potty. Kids don't prefer shortcuts. Do they? And, we parents often learn it the hard way!!

The pink little Baby Bjorn potty sat in her toy room for several days. She would make her bear sit on it, her puppy sit on it, her doll sit on it. That's about it. She wasn't interested in using it for anything beyond that. During the first few weeks, my confidence level hit rock bottom, not that it was soaring high to begin with anyway. Forget about making her sit on the potty, I couldn't even stick a foot inside the invisible perimeter she had drawn around herself during poopy times. I focused all my energy into getting within the range, not to mention I had to duck my head for flying objects she was hurling in my direction. She would scream and wail if anyone would attempt to get closer to her and any mention of potty would be responded with ear-splitting No No's. It wasn't going very well and I had a feeling she was a little scared and uncomfortable about the whole poo-poo thing. Then, a little light bulb went up in my head. How did I forget about all those potty books that I could read to her? After a trip to the library, I stashed her bookshelf with some potty books for her to look at. Ever since we have started reading them, I realize that she is quite interested about the whole potty thing and less reluctant about using one. We have read many potty books together, but a few of them are her absolute favorites. Mostly, I reserve them for potty time. That way I could at least make her sit on it. It has worked out quite well so far. I even got her to go pee-pee and poo-poo on some rare occasions. Its a small accomplishment, but hey we are getting there... And, Who knows? Pretty soon, I will be beaming with pride when she masters the potty someday. Until, then..God help us!!


No comments:

Post a Comment